Friday, April 30, 2010

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

I've kind of neglected the food part of my blog because of the boutique (thank you to those that came!) but I'm back to sharing a few recipes. I've been trying them, just not posting them!

This recipe came from http://www.sparkpeople.com/. It's great place to help you count calories, give you exercise tips, and recipes. I love baked goods so when I saw this recipe I had to try it. They are very dense and fill you up without a ton of calories. The last time I made them I put the Cinnamon and sugar right into the mix and I like them that way too.

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
raisins or nuts (optional

Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray (I used muffin cups. From some odd reason you will need to let your muffins cool and set for a bit before they will come out of the wrapper cleanly.)
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
Number of Servings: 12

Fat: 0.5g
Carbohydrates: 20.5g
Calories:93.5
Protein: 2.9g

1 comment: