Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mom's Rolls




The best part of Thanksgiving dinner to me was Mom's rolls. She served them right out of the oven. They are crescent rolls, so I would savor every bite by starting at the bottom and unrolling it as I went. They are so good you don't even have to add anything to them like butter or jam! This recipe also makes really good cinnamon rolls too. Mom has now retired from making the rolls and it's my job every year. I don't think they taste as good when I make them, but it's hard to find a roll leftover!
Mom's Rolls
1/4 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
Mix and dissolve.
1/2 cup butter (melt in milk)
1 cup lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs (well beaten)
3/4 tsp salt
4 cups flour (or more)
Mix Together.
Add milk, butter, and yeast mixtures. Stir well (should be a little sticky). Cover and let rise for 3-6 hours in a warm place and poke down every hour.
Cut dough into 1/2 or 1/3's. Roll out into a circle. Spread melted butter over rolled-out dough. Cut into 12 equal pieces, like a pizza. Roll up and place each roll on a greased cookie sheet. Butter tops. Let raise for one hour before baking. Bake 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Cinnamon rolls - Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. These sound like my Mom's! Can I borrow it and say it is? Thanks Mom.

    ReplyDelete